Accidents or mistakes can sometimes lead to a wonderful realization or improvement. A while back my 20 year old Huskavarna Lily was acting up. Out of the blue the tension would change as I was sewing. The action pulled the bobbin thread through to the front (top) of the fabric. As annoying as this was, I liked the way the stitches looked. Let me confess, that I am not a person who often uses all of the stitches that are available on my machine. I stick to zigzag and one or two decorative stitches.I decided to fool arround and see how I could use this “accidental stitch ” to my advantage to add interest to my art quilts. I changed the tension to 8 or 9 high on my machine. with a black thread in the bobbin. The top thread I used matched the white or beige color of my fabric. At the time, I was doing Native American inspired quilts and I felt the black dots on the top somehow seemed to work for me. The maximum contrast drew my attention. I also adjusted the stitch length and width to make them as large as possible for maximum visibility.
Errors can turn into serendipitous wonders if we keep our minds open to them.